WorldWide Major Vaccine Manufacturers in Figures
The European Vaccine Manufacturers Association conducted a survey to assess economic indicators among major worldwide vaccine manufacturers, accounting for approximately 85% of worldwide vaccine sales. These companies are the primary suppliers of vaccines in Europe and the USA, and they also contribute significantly to vaccine supplies in the rest of the world. Regional and local manufacturers, constituting about 15% of vaccine sales, were not included in the survey.
The survey highlights that Europe possesses an innovative vaccine industry with international engagements. However, it also reveals that the largest market value lies in North America, which poses a challenge to Europe’s leadership in the future.
The following vaccine manufacturers participated in the survey:
- Aventis Pasteur
- Aventis Pasteur MSD
- Berna Biotech
- Chiron Vaccines
- GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals
- Merck & Co
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals
- Wyeth Vaccines
- The questionnaire was sent on December 1st, 2003.
- There was a 100% response rate from the vaccine manufacturers.
- All data provided in the survey relate to the year 2002.
- Data is expressed in million euros (€) or in doses.
Breakdown of Europe:
- EU-15 + EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland)
- EU-10 acceding countries
Definition of Dose:
- For the purposes of the survey, one dose corresponds to one antigen.
- Example 1: Trivalent Polio OPV (Oral Poliovirus Vaccine) = 1 dose;
- Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis (DTP) = 3 doses
- Example 2: DTP = 1 vaccine