Influenza Pandemic Preparedness: EVM Action Plan Proposal
Substantial strides have been made in influenza pandemic preparedness, both at the European Union (EU) and member state levels, since the last update of the EVM proposal for an action plan issued in 2006. These advancements are attributed to continuous industry efforts in research and development (R&D) and production. Crucially, key elements have been identified that must be addressed to ensure the timely and equitable availability of vaccines for European citizens in the event of an influenza pandemic.
In this revised proposal, EVM members reaffirm their unwavering commitment to achieving these objectives and call for an expanded partnership with European institutions and member states.
EVM expects the European Commission to:
- Support and Facilitate Member States: Foster and endorse member states in defining effective vaccination strategies to safeguard their populations during a pandemic.
- Facilitate Vaccine Development: Establish processes to ensure the development, procurement, and deployment of both pre-pandemic and pandemic vaccines.
- Council Recommendation: Progress with its proposal for a Council recommendation concerning seasonal vaccination coverage rates.
- Technical Advancements: Provide continued support for ongoing work related to technical aspects, including regulatory procedures and the standardization of assays for evaluating candidate vaccines.
- Global Collaboration: Sustain robust support for the WHO Global Action Plan and the Global Influenza Surveillance Network.